Our decadent Organic Raw Cacao powder is one the most versatile and nourishing health foods available.
Cold pressed below 45°C from dried Peruvian Cacao beans.♥
Who says that all healthy food has to be green fruit & vegetables? with this superfood you can use it in smoothies, make delicious cookies, truffles, cheesecakes and much much more. THIS IS CHOCOLATE AT IT’S PUREST FORM.
- More calcium than cow’s milk – (160mg per 100g vs only 125mg per 100ml of milk)
- 40x more antioxidants than Blueberries
- A natural mood elevator and anti depressant (just to name a few)
I use Raw Cacao powder daily, whether I add some to a smoothie, make a quick and super easy Chocolate mousse (without all that nasty sugar) or some quick and easy Chocolate fudge!
Oh and did I mention Cheesecakes? Lots and lots of delicious cheesecakes!
You can really make an abundance of delicious desserts that still satisfy your sweet tooth but at the same time are more or less guilt free and contain no processed goods whatsoever.
This is one of our Favourite superfoods EVER ♥
Can the benefits of cacao really supercharge your health?
1) Get Happy With Cacao : Some days you just need to find your bliss – cacao is one of the healthiest foods, you can consume. Cacao contains the mood improver, anandamide – known as the bliss molecule, which creates a feeling of euphoria.
2) As an aphrodisiac – Another mood-enhancing compound found in cacao is PEA or phenethylamine, which triggers the release of endorphins and pleasurable opium-like neurochemicals. These often release naturally when we fall in love and during sexual activity. (The only other food on earth that contains PEA is blue-green algae.) In addition these chemicals improve libido, which is probably why chocolate is so popular on Valentine ’s Day or as a token of love.
3) Balance Hormonal Mood Swings: Cacao boosts brain levels of serotonin, the feel good brain chemical. When women are experiencing PMS serotonin levels drop dramatically. The benefits of cacao are proven to boost the brain levels of calming hormones and restore feelings of well-being.
4) Protect Your Heart and Prevent Cardiovascular Disease: Flavanols an anti-inflammatory and heart protective antioxidant found in raw cacao may protect against cardiovascular disease, reduce the risk of stroke, and help improve blood circulation.
Cacao contains over 700 compounds and the complex antioxidants found in it known as polyphenols help reduce ‘bad cholesterol’ and prevent hardening of the arteries. It is mind boggling to think that no heart drug on the market can come close to the protective benefits of cacao.
5) The Department of Nutrition at University of California, Davis discovered that cacao thins blood and can prevent blood clots. This finding shows that eating raw cacao can be just as beneficial as taking an aspirin a day.
6) Cacao can prevent premature aging – polyphenol antioxidants found in cacao belong to the same group of antioxidants as green tea and red wine. These anthocyanins (found in dark colored fruits) and catechins (found in green tea) protect our cells from premature oxidation or destruction and can keep us looking and feeling younger longer.
7) Drinking a cup of hot cacao before meals can help you shed fat. This is due to cacao’s MAO inhibitors, which shrink appetite.
MAO inhibitors are often found in weight loss products. However cacao’s unique MAO’s allow more serotonin to circulate in the brain. Don’t consume more than 40 grams or four heaping teaspoons of cacao daily.
If you find the taste of cacao too strong, add coconut milk, rice, or nut milk. Avoid dairy, as it will prevent antioxidant absorption.
By gently heating and making your own delicious hot cacao beverage, you will release more antioxidants and increase the appetite suppressant properties.
8) Create loads of energy and combat fatigue with one of the highest concentrations of magnesium found in this natural food source. Magnesium also helps to protect against osteoporosis, reduces type II diabetes, and lowers blood pressure.
9) Get shiny hair, strong nails, and take care of your liver and pancreas with this great source of sulfur.
10) Lower your blood pressure naturally, in a study of 470 men from the Zutphen Elderly study, the benefits of cacao intake are found to reduce blood pressure by patients who took a small amount every evening.
11) The antioxidant properties of Raw Cacao were also found to reduce insulin resistance and sensitivity in people with impaired glucose tolerance and smokers.
12) Cacao has the ability to help improve kidney and stimulate bowel function.
13) Reset your metabolism and restore your internal balance with cacao – Not getting enough antioxidants in your diet can have dangerous long-term health consequences. A Swiss 2009 study found that in just under two weeks cacao reduced the stress hormone cortisol, improved metabolism, and even improved gut microbial activity.
14) Prevent sunburns – A recent study by London scientists found participants who ate 20 grams of cacao for 12 weeks were able to stay in the sun for twice as long as those who didn’t, without getting sunburned.
15) Get glowing skin and improve skin texture – In 2006 the Journal of Nutrition found that women who drank cacao with at least 326 mg of flavonals a day had better skin texture, improved microcirculation, increased oxygen saturation, and improved skin hydration than those didn’t. Stir some cacao powder in your cup of coffee or add to a smoothie.
16) Skin cancer prevention – German scientists found that cacao may protect against harmful UV rays that cause cancer.
17) Fight tooth decay – Recent studies from Tulane University discovered that an extract of cocoa powder was even more effective than fluoride in preventing cavities. This crystalline extract similar to caffeine helps harden teeth enamel.
18) Theobromine found in cacao was found to halt coughs better than codeine or commercial cough suppressants with the equivalent of two cups. In fact the UK based study by the British Lung Foundation discovered codeine was only slightly more effective than the placebo at preventing coughing with no side effects.
19) Improves cognitive function and prevents Alzheimer’s – A Harvard study by Dr. Gary Small, showed that middle-aged people who drank two cups a day had improved memory and increased blood flow to the brain.
20) Better digestion thanks to the fiber found in raw cacao, that stimulates the body’s digestive enzymes.
21) Healthy fats – your body needs fat contrary to what some health practitioners preach. Fats are the helpers that create chemical reactions for: growth, immune function, and metabolic function. Healthy fats found in Raw Cacao are similar to the monounsaturated fat found in olive oil.
What do I taste like?
Raw Cacao powder is the purest form of ‘chocolate’ – it’s where your chocolate comes from before it has all the nasties added to it.
Raw cacao to some people is quite ‘bitter’, but when used in some hot milk with any natural sweetener such as our Earthy Nourishment coconut sugar or maple syrup, it really makes a decadent, warming, chocolatey and SUPER GOOD FOR YOU hot chocolate!!!
It also works the same in any dessert, when made with natural sweeteners such as dates, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and raw honey, it makes scrumptious decadent desserts.
I am not very good at baking, is the baking range/Raw cacao powder easy to use in cooking?
Yes, generally a lot of healthy desserts actually require no cooking as most of them are ‘raw’ – The staple things you usually need are a blender (I use a nutribullet or Vitamix) and the ingredients for the recipe.
How many tablespoons of powder comes in each size?
100g – 15 tbsp 250g- 27 tbsp 500g – 68 tbsp
Can I substitute Cacao powder for Cocoa powder in recipes?
Yes, the two substances are almost identical
Is your Cacao Powder free from any nasties?
Yes, all of our products at Earthy nourishment are absolutely GMO FREE, Organic, Natural, Naturally Gluten free and in some cases, Raw. ♥